Monday, March 6, 2017

Sad News From Our Lady Of The Atonement

A visitor writes,
I am not a member of Our Lady of the Atonement, but I attended the Low Mass at 7:30 AM this morning. Fr. Moore was the celebrant assisted by Deacon D'Agostino. Msgr. Kurzaj was there, vested in a stole and off to the side looking somber at best and depressed at worst. Mind you, this is the first time I have ever been to this parish, but even to a newcomer, the tension in the air throughout Mass felt like it was about to boil over. Then, at the end of Mass some parishioners got up and hurriedly left while Msgr. Kurzaj plodded toward the ambo. Those who were still in their pews sat down. Dejectedly and in a nearly inaudiable tone, he said, "I have another letter from the Archbishop that I need to read to you, and I don't want to read it anymore than you want to hear it, so here it is." Paraphrasing based off my memory and what I could hear, "Official accusations of sexual abuse have been brought against retired Deacon James Orr by one accuser. The sexual abuse occurred in 1994 prior to his ordination while he was involved in the OLA school. If anyone else experienced abuse at the hands of Deacon Orr, please do not feel ashamed, and please contact the Archdiocesan Office of Victim Assistance as soon as possible. Counseling will be made available through the Archdiocese for any and all who need it. I am tired, yet I continue to pray for all of you and my ministry here. I beg you to pray for me also."
I'd added OLA and Msgr Kurzaj to my prayers some weeks ago. I hope all of us will do this.