Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Anglo-Catholicism And New Media

I was looking at commentary covering President-Elect Trump's radical understanding of media -- Twitter just a part of it -- and it occurred to me that my own media consumption changed during 2016. After we retired, my wife and I subscribed to cable and got Fox News, which took us off 25 years of PBS. But over the past year, I get less and less news from Fox, which called the November election as badly as anyone else in legacy media. I now rely much more on YouTube commentators, some of whom were very close in calling Trump's performance in places like Wisconsin and Michigan.

This led me to ask whether Anglo-Catholics are succeeding at all with new media. Interestingly, there are numerous traditionalist Catholic outlets on YouTube, for instance Michael Voris and Sensus Fidelium. On blogs, Edward Feser's latest post links to about a dozen posts elsewhere on the dubia concerning Amoris. Fr Z's blog is immensely popular.

Anglo-Catholics? Essentially zilch -- I have no urge to look at either Fr Hunwicke or Mr Chadwick, both of whom strike me as peculiarly English in their stuffiness and self-reference. The others have basically given up. A bad sign, it seems to me. That goes as well for the incredibly lame 2016 Year in Review from Houston.